things to do today: make eggnog

[10 Dec 2007 | By | 19 Comments]

2098848309 b88783e0c1 things to do today: make eggnogThings to do today: buy Christmas gifts for kids’ coaches & teachers, buy packaging tape and boxes, call eye doctor, clean out email in box, make eggnog. Top priority: make eggnog.

When I read Brandon Eats‘ message to make your eggnog now or it is too late, I knew I had to put it on top of my ‘to-do list.’ It takes a minimum of three weeks for the eggnog flavors to marry and marinate in your fridge… or up to a year. So in theory, I could have started my Christmas Nog in July.

If my mom is reading this, she is smiling, because I DO have a tendency to begin planning for Christmas in July. But not this year. This year I really did leave the Christmas planning/buying/frenzy for December (other frenzies were a priority in their respective months; July was consumed with selling our house).

But back to December: I have always wanted to make eggnog from scratch. So when I was alerted to this recipe (from CHOW), I knew I needed to grab my just-emptied glass jug (the apple cider was delish), and start cracking… eggs that is.

And then wait.

I think I am a sucker for drinks that take time to mellow and perfect; my limoncella recipe takes 80 days. And it is divine. Last year I actually DID start making that in July, and even had a bottle or two left in December for Christmas gifts (a hazard of beginning Christmas limoncella in July is that come September when it is ripe and ready one feels the need to taste it, share it, re-taste it and otherwise fail to save it until Christmas). You can only wait so long. And that was too long.

But if you make this eggnog now, it will be perfect for New Year’s Eve. OR if you are not a waiter, crack it open a bit early, perhaps on the eve of Christmas (just save some for later, to taste when it is in its prime). If you do, know that I am too. A few big cubes of ice, a short glass and cheers: to Christmas and to You!

EGGNOG worth waiting for
12 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 quart whole milk (4 cups)
1 liter (about 4 cups) bourbon
1/2 cup Meyer’s dark rum
1/2 – 1 cup good Cognac or brandy
pinch kosher salt

To serve (optional—depends on your ability to wait even longer):
one whole nutmeg
10 egg whites
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Separate yolks and whites; discard whites or use for something else. Mix yolks and sugar until creamy; add remaining ingredients. Bottle right away and refrigerate. Stir or shake occasionally. Serve on rocks with freshly ground nutmeg. Optional: whip 10 egg whites and 1 1/2 cups cream to soft peaks and fold into eggnog. Serve garnished with fresh nutmeg.

facebook things to do today: make eggnoggoogleplus things to do today: make eggnogpinterest things to do today: make eggnogstumbleupon things to do today: make eggnogtwitter things to do today: make eggnog
This entry was posted in edible gifts, food., libations, recipes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Time to start cracking on your holiday eggnog | Look What I Cooked said (10 December 2007 at 4:07 pm):

[...] says that homemade eggnog needs at least three weeks in the back of the fridge to mellow and so has whipped up a batch using a recipe she found over at CHOW. She says that if you make it now, it will be deliciously ready by New Year’s Eve (but that [...]

• aria said (11 December 2007 at 9:21 am):

mmmm, that sounds so good! love the picture!!

• Kristen said (11 December 2007 at 8:34 pm):

I would totally not be able to wait! I am very impressed that you are making your own eggnog. I bet it will fantastic!

• janelle said (12 December 2007 at 12:13 pm):

Aria: thanks! I am excited to sample it!

Kristen: fingers crossed! Wish I could email you some:).

• Brian said (12 December 2007 at 6:58 pm):

I’m curious, what’s the rationale for the long wait time? It can’t be fermentation, the booze would kill the strongest yeast alive. I made a similar nog last year based on Alton Brown’s recipe, and it was delicious that very day. If this improves on that, I’m just wondering how.

The limoncello recipe sounds great.

• Scott said (14 December 2007 at 5:32 pm):

Looks good! This recipe is low fat, right?

• janelle said (14 December 2007 at 11:18 pm):

Brian: eh, rationale? Well, I CAN tell you that it is very tasty today; I pre-sampled some and the nog has only been marinating for… less than a week. So much for patience:). My hunch is, similar to the ole limoncella I adore and make, it just get better the longer the flavors get to know each other. Probably where the term ‘mellows with age’ really came from:). I will let you know in two more weeks what the taste difference is… and if it is notable:). Sounds good though, doesn’t it?

Scott: yeah, holidays around here are all about lowfat:). I wish! I just go for nog instead of dessert:).

• Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog » » November 21 ~ Holidays at Home said (21 November 2008 at 9:00 am):

[...] Janelle from Talk of Tomatoes makes her Eggnog Recipe a priority, and you should too (it takes at least three weeks for the flavors to “marry and [...]

• pjs said (21 November 2008 at 9:19 am):

mmmmmmm….. I want some right now…. Thanks for the recipe !

• janelle said (21 November 2008 at 9:47 am):

Sew Mama Sew: thanks for linking to my eggnog!

PJs: me too, oh yeah, I just made some and it is in the fridge…

Sally: Oh man, yep an oversight. They are raw. Good point. I will have to look into the alcohol thing, to see if it helps (I will ask a chef at school). BTW I cannot WAIT to get my own chickens!!!

• Sally said (21 November 2008 at 9:33 am):

Why no worry about the raw eggs? I have my own chickens, so eat raw eggs all the time, but was surprised to see no mention of pasturization or “warnings”. Does the alcohol kill off anything that could cause harm? Just curious! :)

• Megan said (21 November 2008 at 1:05 pm):

So question. how do you bottle it? like just throw it in a bottle with a lid. or go through the whole sterilization / seal bottling process? Thanks

• janelle said (21 November 2008 at 8:21 pm):

Megan: I sterilize via hot water cycle in the dishwasher. I do not seal/sterilize etc. But DO store in the fridge.

ALSO: raw eggs are considered a potentially hazardous food, so only make and consume this eggnog (well, all traditional eggnog for that matter) if you are okay with consuming raw eggs. OR buy eggs that are pasteurized. Do consider, homemade mayonnaise has raw eggs as well.

• Mike Wilson » Blog Archive » Eggnog recipe said (21 November 2008 at 9:53 pm):

[...] This looks positively awesome. Things to do today: make eggnog | Talk of Tomatoes [...]

• Megan said (25 November 2008 at 10:41 am):

Just a thought – you can use eggbeaters and be safe. My MIL uses it to make cookie dough, so it’s edible (unbaked). The does leave you with egg yolks and whites in the original nog. But it’s worth a shot!

• Mike Wilson said (8 December 2008 at 10:25 pm):

Hey is that bourbon quantity right? Mine is 3 week in and I just peeked my nose in and it’s almost completely overpowering.

• janelle said (9 December 2008 at 3:51 pm):

Mike: Yes the quantity is according to the original CHOW recipe. But I am glad you asked: the flavors are sharp at first, and it takes awhile for them to mellow and marry. Since you asked, I followed my nose back to CHOW and found two helpful tips:

1. an article on why it is okay to use EGGS in making NOG: http://www.chow.com/stories/10224.

2. the original recipe, and a special note that it takes time for the alcohol to mellow: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758.

I hope that helps everyone asking about eggs and alcohol! BTW my sister asked me how I serve it: usually like I serve Bailey’s Irish Cream, over rocks and chilled. And then in about 10 minutes when the ice cubes have relaxed just a smidgen, it is perfect sipping. A Toast!!

Megan: yes, Eggbeaters is a pasteurized product and would be fine!

• christmas eggnog said (7 October 2012 at 1:20 pm):

Awesome eggnog recipes I found, including one really strong ultimate eggnog recpie!

• pecan tassies recipe | Christmas Cookies said (15 December 2012 at 3:08 pm):

[...] the stops, and piling trays high with colorful and varied cookies. I attend cookies swaps and drink eggnog, flash my coveted frosted cookies and make friends, neighbors and colleagues a bit [...]