Is it really all about the bacon? I asked a pile of blogging friends for their best brussel sprouts recipes and I confess: you’d think it was a case for “everything it better with bacon.” Brussels & Bacon are quickly becoming akin to peanut butter and jelly, olive oil and balsamic, truffle and popcorn (couldn’t resist that last one).
Bacon love aside – I do want to make a case for bacon free brussel sprouts.
I keep thinking brussel gratin would be divine – I need to climb on that pony. Maybe a new twist for Thanksgiving?
I am about to purchase a big ole box of brussel sprouts via Farmstr – or I should say from local Rents Due Ranch (north of Seattle) – who normally supplies them to boutique grocery stores. Buying directly from them (through this online marketplace) means I pay less than I would at the store – so I can buy more!
You know I love a full larder – almost as much as I love martinis.
Brussels Sprout Benefits
- high in folic acid, potassium and vitamins A, K and C.
- cruciferous vegetables reduce risk of some cancers (colon, breast, lung, ovarian, bladder)
Brussels Sprout Storing Tips
- 3-6 days in fridge in a bag with outer leaves removed.
- 3-6 weeks in fridge in open bowl with outer leaves left on – just remove shriveled leaves before cooking.
- 12 months in freezer – first blanch then store in freezer bags or vacuum seal (blanch 3 min in salted boiling water, remove and shock in ice water for 30 seconds)
- if you store in a very cool place with light moisture – garage, root cellar – they keep well up to 5 weeks.
Brussels Sprout Recipes
Eating Well Magazine highlights an easy Pickled Brussels Sprout Recipe (then prudently recommends you put them in your next Bloody Mary… how about with Candied Bacon?!)
Your Fonder Heart makes Emeril Lagasse Bacon & Brussels
All Day I Dream About Food goes non-bacon with Hazelnut Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Mountain Mama Cooks makes Blackened Brussels Sprouts and Creamy Rosemary Polenta Maple Sea Salted Roasted Winter Vegetables
Hey Mom What’s For Dinner goes all out all bacon
Blue Kale Road adds color to Brussels with Pomegranate Seeds
Snacking Kitchen – love this – roasts the whole stalk!
Foodie Tots puts the season in a bowl: Squash, Brussels & Pomegranate
Thanks and happy brussel – ling. Like yodeling only better b/c there is bacon.