bacon wrapped, cheese filled figs

[14 Oct 2010 | By | 10 Comments]

5057739258 6043357f2e bacon wrapped, cheese filled figs

This was the year that I fell in love with figs. I made mixed fig jam, roasted grape balsamic and fig chutney, cinnamon fig jam and cheese-stuffed figs wrapped in bacon. Figs are the reason I have a little gathering of jars on my shelf—full of many different types of preserves (from figs to apple thyme jelly to spicy red pepper jelly…).

Dried figs—just one or two—are perfect sliced or chopped then plopped into a salad (yes craisins—you have been replaced) and yesterday I tossed a few dried fig bits into chicken salad for sandwiches (shredded roasted chicken, mayo, S&P, minced celery and 1-2 finely chopped figs).

Hats off to the California Fig Commission for delivering five flats of figs to my door.

5018142793 2262e26c8d bacon wrapped, cheese filled figs

I love serving these little figs as appetizers for guests. It is a great way to enjoy the figs from this season—with very little embellishment yet supporting roles provided by salty crispy bacon and bitter notes ushered in with blue cheese/goat cheese.

Stand figs upright, slice on X in the top, but don’t cut all the way through. Insert rounded tsp of cheese in middle of fig; push fig back into fig-like form and secure with bacon. I usually use prosciutto or pancetta. Oh, and these figs rally nicely on a skewer over the grill, under the broiler for a quick crisp—and I have even sauteed one or two for a quick breakfast bite. (Yes, you can prepare them and have them waiting for you in the fridge for 1-2 days).

5026890728 8b7608456d bacon wrapped, cheese filled figs

facebook bacon wrapped, cheese filled figsgoogleplus bacon wrapped, cheese filled figspinterest bacon wrapped, cheese filled figsstumbleupon bacon wrapped, cheese filled figstwitter bacon wrapped, cheese filled figs
This entry was posted in food., recipes, starters and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Antonietta said (14 October 2010 at 2:54 pm):

I LOVE figs! Seriously, they are my favorite food- hands down.
    The bacon wrapped ones look amazing. This is one recipe to try!!

• Joyti said (15 October 2010 at 12:23 am):

What a beautiful and I’m sure delicious recipe…

• Krista said (15 October 2010 at 12:21 pm):

Absolutely delicious!! I adore figs too – love them fresh or dried or roasted. :-)

• amy said (16 October 2010 at 12:35 pm):

I love food like this, simple and easy yet so wonderful!! Heres something I did with the brandied fig jam last night- Roasted comice pears sliced in half, pealed and cored with a tablespoon of fig jam in the center then wrapped with bacon…it was a hit! Oh and then a dollop of mascarpone cheese on top, right before I served it. Its amazing the recipes I can come with when I can’t run to the store:) Use what I’ve got!!

• janelle said (16 October 2010 at 3:25 pm):

Antonietta: your FAVORITE? Absolute most favorite food? That’s a big commit;). I don’t know if I could name just one… maybe I should be asking you for your best fig-recipe ideas!?!?! I am all ears!

Joyti: thank you! And yes: yum!

Krista: I am still trying to ‘figure’ out all sorts of uses for dried figs.

Amy: thanks for sharing—love, love, love hearing ideas esp. when you have to be creative!

• Megan said (20 October 2010 at 4:46 pm):

I made these with goat cheese and proscuitto and it was fantastic — but I love the way you cut it and wrapped the bacon around! Great idea! I am totally going to do it this way next time!

• Megan said (20 October 2010 at 4:46 pm):

Oh yeah — and drizzled honey on top. Fantastic!

I have posted fig recipes every Wed for the last 5 weeks on my blog. You should check it out if you get a few free minutes!

• janelle (author) said (22 October 2010 at 12:19 pm):

Yipee! I love it when somebody reads a post and has a ‘take-away’ for their kitchen!

• Seb@palm Tree Decor Tips said (4 November 2010 at 7:40 pm):

We live in Canada on the west ( wet ) coast. four years ago I planted two fig trees. This year was our best ever. More than 100.We ate them raw, but want to do something different next year if we have a good crop again. Thanks for this article I’m going to print it off, to use next year.

• janelle (author) said (5 November 2010 at 1:32 pm):

Wonderful!!!! I have fig-tree-envy! Do try the brandied fig jam;) it is fantastic and you can enjoy your fig trees all year!