arugula, white bean and tuna salad

[19 Jan 2010 | By | 10 Comments]

4263683502 1623ef9df3 arugula, white bean and tuna salad

I could just call this ‘resolute salad,’ since it is my quick version of a New Year’s resolution. It is that time of year again to reverse the results of holiday eating and imbibing, to go lighter on the bread, cut down portion size and drink water like it is going out of style. But one need not suffer.

In fact, this salad is a preferable choice for lunch. And the beans and tuna give it enough ‘meat’ to keep your belly happy for hours (no need for mid afternoon lunching to fill the watery-lettuce void). The white beans are classic Italian fare (white or cannellini beans), as is the tuna, arugula and fabulous olive oil.

Arugula, White Bean and Tuna Salad
arugula
white beans (from a can works)
tuna fish (packed in olive oil, then drained)
olive oil, to taste
kosher salt and coarse pepper (KS&CP)

Pile ingredients.

A few twists:

• I like to add shaved Parmesan, I think the salty bite is brilliant against the tangy arugula and tuna.
    We use our best olive oil, since it goes straight from the bottle to our mouths (we use our second class olive oil for cooking).
    We differ in opinion on this, while my husband skips the balsamic, sometimes I add a squirt of reduced balsamic vinegar.
    You could add: really seasonal, perfectly ripened cherry or baby Roma tomatoes.
    Lots of freshly ground pepper is key, the more the better.

New Year’s resolutions aside… or forward… this really is a healthy, scrumptious lunch.

facebook arugula, white bean and tuna saladgoogleplus arugula, white bean and tuna saladpinterest arugula, white bean and tuna saladstumbleupon arugula, white bean and tuna saladtwitter arugula, white bean and tuna salad
This entry was posted in food., Italian food & wine, recipes, salad and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Carolyn Jung said (19 January 2010 at 9:49 pm):

I make a version of this comforting salad, too. You know what’s a nice addition to it? Preserved lemon. Really adds a nice brightness and depth to the white beans. YUM!

• janelle said (20 January 2010 at 1:08 am):

Carolyn: nice thought! I haven’t used preserved lemons enough… when else do you like to use them? (I sometimes add some reduced balsamic to this salad, another quick add-in).

• Juliana said (20 January 2010 at 7:33 pm):

Absolutely love the simplicity of this meal :-)
    Looks tasty and very full filling!

• Natasha - 5 Star Foodie said (21 January 2010 at 7:21 pm):

A lovely salad! I like the combination of tuna and white beans!

• Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said (24 January 2010 at 7:12 am):

Preserved lemon would be a great addition. Think of preserved lemons like capers; you can substitute them in many dishes, like fish or chicken or lentil dishes, that call for capers.

• Tuscan white bean spread | Talk of Tomatoes said (10 March 2010 at 5:45 am):

[...] as a cradle for sausages, you will find them served by their lonesome, or in soups, on salads (try this one!) and quintessentially as a [...]

• Product reviews from my kitchen | Talk of Tomatoes said (1 March 2011 at 1:41 pm):

[...] It’s fantastic. Bottom line? I will be buying this product in the future. Took my midday arugula and tuna salad up a whole notch. I save your oil for dipping bread, making sandwiches and on salads—not for [...]

• feta beet salad with fig sherry vinaigrette. | Talk of Tomatoes said (14 June 2011 at 9:46 am):

[...] love having a go-to salad. What is yours? For the last year mine has been: tuna with arugula, olive oil and balsamic glaze, Parmesan and a few good grinds of pepper. Why I love it: it’s a combination of my favorite greens and healthy tuna—and a [...]

• Kim said (23 August 2011 at 9:26 am):

I just made this salad for lunch. Very satisfying and delicious flavors. Next time I will add some balsamic vinegar before serving. It needed a little something, more acid than just tomatoes. Great recipe! Will make again!

• janelle (author) said (29 August 2011 at 2:10 pm):

Fantastic—I almost always drizzle balsamic glaze;))) and load it up with freshly ground pepper. Nothing beats a good salad!