a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroom

[21 Oct 2008 | By | 9 Comments]

2921833805 45d9e4df3f a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroom

If ever you had a spoon, and could insert it into the computer screen with optimal effect: this would be the time. If you like mushroom soup, you should try this one. If you aim to embrace fall’s earthy flavors and welcome the changing season with seasonal menus, look no further.

I have been making this mushroom bisque recipe for years. I often serve it to guests. And now that summer’s lemonade is drained and strawberry shortcake is a fading memory… we best be embracing this rapidly arriving season with mushroom-inspired, liquor-reduced, cinnamon-laced, nut-filled, nutmeg/cinnamon/pumpkin/sweet potato flavored menus. Bake me apples, fill my pots with roast, thicken the stews: fall is upon us!

This soup is more than ample. And presents nuttiness and deep, complex flavors to nourish souls; it hugs the ground and lends memory to satisfying famished friends and hungered bellies over the course of history. I can hardly imagine a Thanksgiving meal—or simple fall lunch—that would turn this down. Harsh conditions of weather and economy may be upon us, but so is good food, solid food, nourishing and economical. Share spoons and may good spirits prevail.

Mushroom Bisque Recipe

1.5 cups dry sherry
1 T butter
10 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup shallots (can sub some red onion)
1 T lemon juice (optional)
2 T flour
2 cups beef stock
1 1/2 cups Brie cheese, trimmed and cubed
1 cup half & half
1/2 tsp pepper

Boil sherry to reduce by half; set aside. In large saucepan melt butter, stir in shrooms, shallots and lemon juice. Cook over medium high heat, 4 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in flour, add stock and sherry. Bring to boil then simmer 15 mintues. Add brie, stir to melt. Add 1/2 and 1/2 and pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, puree in batches (OR employ your favorite tool and mine: the immersion blender), and serve.

facebook a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroomgoogleplus a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroompinterest a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroomstumbleupon a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroomtwitter a perfect soup to usher in fall: sherry brie & mushroom
This entry was posted in food., recipes, soups and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• J.A. said (21 October 2008 at 1:06 pm):

Can anything that can be substituted for the sherry? I’m on a temporary alcohol ban but want to try this recipe!

• peabody said (21 October 2008 at 11:05 pm):

That looks nice and comforting.

• Sophie said (22 October 2008 at 10:37 am):

What a lovely post! I feel the same way about Fall foods :) . I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you’re interested.

To find out more about the Demy, you can visit this site:

Thanks!

• janelle said (23 October 2008 at 10:10 am):

JA: it depends, if you are sans alcohol, the soup actually cooks out all the alcohol, leaving only the flavor. I haven’t made it with anything else… I will get back to you.

Peabody: soups up!

Sophie: sure, will email:).

• Slashfood Ate (8): Friday afternoon salmagundi | Receipes said (28 October 2008 at 4:28 am):

[...] of Tomatoes posted a gorgeous fall soup made of Sherry, Brie and Mushrooms. Could be just the thing for your weekend [...]

• Lael said (31 October 2008 at 8:19 pm):

Each word in this soup’s name make me happy: Sherry. Brie. Mushroom. As soon as I empty out my fridge a bit, I’ll be sure to stock up with these things!

• Joni said (1 November 2008 at 6:12 am):

What is the topping in the photo? It looks like cheese curls, but I can’t imagine getting brie to do that!

• janelle said (1 November 2008 at 12:33 pm):

Slashfood: cool, thanks for the pingback!

Lael: Me too!!

Joni: Very good point, I confess when I have Gruyere on hand… I cannot resist it. I used a micro planer to make those lovely curls!

• Thanksgiving Side Dishes | Living better at 50+| Online Womens Magazine said (21 November 2012 at 1:38 pm):

[...] you have nostalgia for marshmallows or pecans, apple pie or pumpkin cheesecake, celery gratin or sherry brie mushroom soup: may you enjoy each and every nostalgic OR new bite.  Orgianal post from: [...]