what’s for dinner? carrot chips.

[24 Sep 2008 | By | 10 Comments]

2884541579 edcf5465c3 whats for dinner? carrot chips.

Carrot chips? And how. I could have a pile of these, call it a meal, and be the better for it.

They aren’t bad for you, like many chips. They are not deep fried; no preservatives or other unmentionables are added. All that will rest on your palate is thinly-sliced, roasted carrots. All you need is a glugg of olive oil, a hearty pinch of coarse salt and carrots.

I am a big fan of trying new vegetables, or new shapes or new products. My family snacks on a lot of baby carrots; in the store recently I saw a bag of sliced carrots. They looked like ruffled chips. As I often do, I figured: different shapes, more interest. Why not? (if you don’t have waffle sliced carrots, just buy regular carrots, slice them 1/4 inch thick, at a slight diagonal. A mandoline might work if you can maintain slices between 1/4 – 1/8 inch).

Dinner appeared (as it often does: out of no where, and an hour too soon) and I tossed them on a cookie sheet with a sprinkle of oil and coarse salt. And tossed them so each carrot had a smear of oil; they are awesome. WAY better than fries or chips. Don’t believe me? Try them.

It just gets better: the other day at the grocer, I saw tri-colored carrots. Have you seen them? You can buy orange, white or purple carrots. I will be buying those next—this humble little side dish just became hip.

Carrot Chips
1 LB carrots, 1/4 inch slices on the diagonal
3 T olive oil (or so)
1-2 large pinches coarse salt

Toss carrots with oil, in bowl or with hands. Spread in single layer on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Roast in 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. (Sometimes I pump it up to 425).

facebook whats for dinner? carrot chips.googleplus whats for dinner? carrot chips.pinterest whats for dinner? carrot chips.stumbleupon whats for dinner? carrot chips.twitter whats for dinner? carrot chips.
This entry was posted in food., vegetables and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Barb said (24 September 2008 at 11:56 am):

Okay, these probably will redeem you from the Nanaimo Bars and the Special K bars – and they look just as delicious. I’m gonna give ‘em a try. (I love carrots, hubby-not so much!)

• CeeCee said (25 September 2008 at 6:58 am):

longtime reader, first time poster! will try these tonight. on the same sort of note, i toss diagonally sliced zuchs in olive oil then thinly coat with breadcrumb, parmesan, garlic salt and pepper mixture. pop them on a greased cooking sheet at 425 until they brown. addictive and the kids love them… plus two zuchs go a long way!

• Kate said (25 September 2008 at 7:50 am):

Oh man, it’s only 10:00 in the morning and I suddenly want roasted carrots. In all my culinary genius, why don’t I think to do this? We ALL love carrots, even the lil’ carnivore. So simple it’s silly. Thanks!!!

• katie said (25 September 2008 at 7:55 am):

Those look delicious! And look like something the kids would be willing to try without too much of a fight. That’s important because generally once they try it they like it, its just getting that first open-minded bite in.

• maggie said (29 September 2008 at 6:19 am):

YUM! Maybe this would get my fiancé to like carrots. I love roasted veggies of all sorts. Bet these would be good with a splash of balsamic, also.

• Lisa said (29 September 2008 at 6:30 am):

I never thought of it before but why not? I love roasted potatoes and I am amazed at how delicious roasted cauliflower can be. Why shouldn’t roasted carrots be great too? I’m trying them this week.

• janelle (author) said (29 September 2008 at 7:26 pm):

Barb: yes, I figure I better fit in some healthy foods now that the holidays are upon us!

Ceecee: thank you for reading and for commenting; it means the world to find out who is out there:). LOVE your zuchs idea, what temp do you roast them at? Breadcrumbs are always a treat and pepper underrated:). GREAT idea, I will have to give them a try!

Kate: I hope you try them!

Katie: I am a HUGE Fan of what the kiddos will try and love and have it be good for them all the while!

Maggie: I adore balsamic; great idea!

Lisa: let me know what you think?

• Veronica said (29 September 2008 at 7:56 pm):

These roasted carrots are SO good! I just made them with tonight’s dinner, grilled salmon tacos. My husband tried a bite of roated carrot and the first words out of his mouth were, “Mmmm…These are good.” Then later, “You know the only thing that’s wrong with these carrots?” “What?” I replied somewhat nervously. He said, “There’s not enough of them.” (Seriously! That’s so unusual for him to say anything like that!)

Needless to say, we’ll be having these often. Thanks for the recipe!

• nensi104 said (28 August 2011 at 2:16 pm):

Well I don’t know if I should like it or not. I expected them to be crunchy like chips, looking similar to the picture you posted. Instead I found a lot of burned edges and no crunchiness. Maybe too little oil? Too high temperature for my oven? My boyfriend loved them, he said it’s delicious, but I don’t think it ended up the way it had to. So, I’ll give them a one more try. Cheers.

• janelle (author) said (29 August 2011 at 8:15 am):

thank you for the feedback: means I am going to retry them again myself. I always try to make sure my recipes are emphatic winners;).