good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.

[17 Feb 2008 | By | 18 Comments]

2192492513 ff1169eeea good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.

I love good soups. When a good soup meets my lips and warms my throat down to my belly, even my toes get a wiggle.

This is a perfect time of year for soups; and for using my favorite kitchen tool: an immersion blender. You don’t need one for this soup, of course, but if you do then your kids will come running when you power it up: can I try mom? Would you like me to help? (Music to my ears).

Certainly it counts as their daily good deed for lent. Helping mom make dinner. How could you argue with that? Just because it is fun doesn’t mean it doesn’t count (of course, I tell them, helping fold that mountain of socks or taking out the compost are also very good deed ideas…).

Pumpkin Ginger Soup

3 T butter
2/3 cup chopped onion
8 ounces cubed butternut squash
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp cardamom
3 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup carrots
2 T brown sugar

3 T butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and pinch salt; cook, stirring for 10 minutes. Add squash, low-medium heat, cooking for 20 more minutes. Add garlic, 1 T olive oil, and the spices. Cook 5-7 minutes. Add broth, carrots and pumpkin. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook 25 minutes then puree. Stir in brown sugar and salt to taste.

facebook good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.googleplus good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.pinterest good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.stumbleupon good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.twitter good soup. of the pumpkin ginger variety.
This entry was posted in food., recipes, soups and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said (18 February 2008 at 10:20 am):

I made something similar yesterday — I had a squash, a couple of carrots, and a couple of parsnips left over from making a stew. Threw it all in the pot, added some “warm” spices and broth, and agave nectar for sweetness. And, because it’s me, I had to throw in some hot sauce, too!

• peabody said (18 February 2008 at 7:36 pm):

Mmm, pumpkin soup is the best.

• peabody said (18 February 2008 at 7:36 pm):

Mmm, pumpkin soup is the best.

• Joanna in the kitchen said (19 February 2008 at 5:36 am):

I adore pumpkin soups. And this one is to be tested in my very own kitchen very very soon :-)

• aforkfulofspaghetti said (19 February 2008 at 6:43 am):

What a beautiful veloute! Could it be more silken?!

• Michelle @ Us vs. Food said (19 February 2008 at 12:57 pm):

wow, that looks unnaturally silken. gorgeous!

any excuse to use an immersion blender is a good one.

• beth said (19 February 2008 at 8:49 pm):

My last attempt at a pumpkin type soup included parsnips and was not a big hit. This one looks so delicious I think I am ready to try again.

• Andrea said (22 February 2008 at 8:15 am):

Pumpkin, squash and ginger sound great to me! I’ll have to put my immersion blender (aka the boat motor) to work!

• janelle said (22 February 2008 at 11:42 am):

Lydia: love making soup on the fly! I am hoping to make parsnip soup soon…

Peabody: perfect for this time of year!

Joanna: let me know how it goes!?

Aforkful: thank you, loved the little bowls from my mother in law:).

Michelle: salute, thanks! Love those blenders!

Beth: yes do!

Andrea: heehee. my kitchen aid sounds like an airplane taking off, I always want to wear those baron goggles…

• Krista said (22 February 2008 at 12:45 pm):

This looks absolutely delicious. I am lactose intolerant – any suggestions on how to replace the butter?

• janelle said (22 February 2008 at 2:48 pm):

Krista: I am no expert (though I hope culinary school will help; I start soon:)), but I would just use olive oil… what do you normally use to sub butter or fat?

• Alisa said (22 February 2008 at 7:21 pm):

OMG, I can’t believe how long it has been since I visited TOT! I just spent a half hour catching up on your great posts, but returned to this yummy looking soup!

• Alisa said (22 February 2008 at 7:22 pm):

Oh yes, and Krista, a dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance) will work fine, but olive oil should too. Looks like a small amount of butter in the recipe, so it is really more for the fat than the flavor I think. But, Janelle would no best on that!

• Krista said (23 February 2008 at 9:08 am):

Thanks for the tips – I’ve just newly discovered my lactose intolerance so don’t yet have a “normal” replacement. I will try the olive oil. I have found a lactose free margarine but can’t have it right now as I am on an elimination diet looking for other food sensitivities/allergies. Was just over at the Earth Balance website – thanks for mentioning that brand – I will have to look for it.

• Anticiplate said (20 March 2008 at 7:08 am):

I have a recipe for pumpkin coconut soup that sounds very similar to this! You have motivated me:)

• Gabrielle Kruskamp said (9 December 2008 at 6:08 pm):

How many serving does the pumpkin soup serve.

• janelle (author) said (10 December 2008 at 10:22 pm):

Alisa: you are too kind! I agree, I think subbing butter or olive oil would be fine!

Anticiplate: I like the idea of coconut!

Gabrielle: I don’t recall, but I would guess 4-6…

• Jyotsna said (1 March 2009 at 7:40 pm):

i dont usually comment, but after reading through so much info i had to say thanks