soy balsamic flank steak

[5 Jun 2007 | By | 12 Comments]

521680374 b0bbd7c403 soy balsamic flank steak

Kids love it: it tastes like meat candy. They also love it because if they help me make it, they get to measure and pour and add a pinch of this and a glugg of that. Anything that feels like a science experiment, eh?

I love to make it because it is easy and can be prepared hours in advance. Last time I had guests over, I served this. I thought I made too much, but alas at the end of the night I realized all had been adequately inhaled: and the kids were first in line.

Grilling season is here; get your game on (love those puns):

Soy Balsamic Flank Steak
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch oregano
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 T olive oil
10 cloves garlic, chopped/minced
3 T brown sugar
1 inch ginger, sliced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 bottle beer (amber/dark)
2 flanks (approximately enough to feed eight)

Ask munchkins to pour and measure marinade: place all ingredients plus steaks in large ziploc bag. Marinate 8-24 hours in fridge; let sit at room temp for 20 minutes, then grill on very hot/high—approximately 4-8 minutes a side (depending on desired doneness). Let sit a few minutes, slice on angle, serve.

Very important note: your grill must be as high as possible to transpose this steak into slices of candy. If your grill is anything less than its hottest, it might end up on the tough side…

Ideas for what to serve on the side:
Grilled Parmesan & Lemon Asparagus from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asian inspired Potato Salad from Brilynn’s Jumbo Empanadas
Brussel Sprouts with Bread Crumbs & Lemon from Food Blogga
Blue Cheese Coleslaw from Talk of Tomato files
Grilled Tomatoes from Talk of Tomato files

Don’t forget dessert:
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble from Smitten Kitchen
Lime Mango Sorbet from Simply Recipes
Peach, Blueberry & Thyme cupcakes from Cupcake Bakeshop

facebook soy balsamic flank steakgoogleplus soy balsamic flank steakpinterest soy balsamic flank steakstumbleupon soy balsamic flank steaktwitter soy balsamic flank steak
This entry was posted in entree, food. and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Lydia said (5 June 2007 at 3:09 pm):

I just made something similar for dinner! There is nothing better than flank steak cooked on the grill, with maybe some asparagus or in-season corn on the cob.

• Deborah said (5 June 2007 at 4:29 pm):

My husband usually doesn’t let me near the grill (it’s his domain) but maybe he would let me if I made him this!!

• Kalyn said (5 June 2007 at 5:59 pm):

It sounds just wonderful. I’d be proud to have my asparagus be a side dish for this meal; thanks for the mention.

• Kate said (6 June 2007 at 5:30 am):

Flank steak is wonderful….its quick, delicious and easy to make. Pricey, but worth it.

This sounds really good and similar to what I like to marinate steak in which is soy sauce, sesame oil and red wine vinegar. Yum.

• sandi @ the whistlestop cafe said (6 June 2007 at 5:56 am):

WoW! That looks awesome. We are on the grill at least twice a week. This will be on my list.
    I posted a great fruit salsa that would be perfect with your meat candy!(shameless plug) =D

• Freya said (6 June 2007 at 9:12 am):

I love the idea of candy flavoured beef! This looks so mouthwateringly good!

• Jennifer said (6 June 2007 at 5:13 pm):

I’m hungry just looking at that!!! YUM! Since I started taking Cinnamon pills for my Insulin Resistance (a pre-diabetic condition), it makes me crave protein like crazy!! I always want red meat! LOL!!

• brilynn said (7 June 2007 at 9:21 am):

I’m having a bunch of people over this weekend and just bought flank steak, I may have to give this recipe a try, thanks!

• Jennifer said (10 June 2007 at 2:26 pm):

Your recipe looks delicious, but I’m new at this and still need everything spelled out. Approx. how much is a “bunch” of thyme and oregano? Thanks so much…

• Kirsten said (10 June 2007 at 9:58 pm):

Wow, delicious! I will be making this soon…any new beef thing and my boyfriend Brian is salivating. Great!!

• peabody said (22 June 2007 at 5:36 pm):

This looks like a great meal.

• links for 2008-05-02 | Waimea Style said (2 May 2008 at 3:41 pm):

[...] Soy Balsamic Flank Steak | Talk of Tomatoes ????????????????? (tags: Beef Food recipes) [...]