blue cheese coleslaw recipe

[3 May 2007 | By | 11 Comments]

blue cheese coleslaw @talkoftomatoes 2 blue cheese coleslaw recipe

My son states: “I cannot imagine a burger without blue cheese.” And then, while shaking his head from side to side, he adds: “it is soooooooo good.” Be still my heart. What is it about moms watching kids eat happily that makes US so happy? I appreciate his enthusiasm: I too am a fan of pungent, bold yet smooth blue.

Enter coleslaw. I always am on the search for a quality coleslaw to resurrect the bad reputation sliced cabbage has earned from summery picnics and potlucks. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of a community table. But who hasn’t met a pile of over mayo’d, unnaturally warm and soggy, out of a bag, well-worn slaw? Consider this: does the thought of coleslaw on the end of a fork make your cringe or lick you chops?

So imagine my trepidation when we went to dinner at a friend’s house and the beautifully marinated and grilled steak came plated with none other than coleslaw. Hold breath, insert fork, open mouth… seconds please? Maybe thirds? You have made me a believer: I didn’t believe coleslaw had redemptive value. As blue cheese is my witness:

Blue Cheese Coleslaw
1 small head white/green cabbage
2/3 cup mayo
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 T whole grain mustard
2 tsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp celery salt
KS&CP (kosher salt & course pepper) to taste
2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Slice Cabbage as thin as possible, removing cores. Blend mayo, mustards, salts, vinegar and pepper; stir dressing into cabbage, but do not drown it or heaven forbid: sog it (you can always add more dressing but you cannot take it out). Do not help promote the coleslaw stereotype. Add crumbled blue and parsley to blend. Will keep in fridge a few hours. You might want to tweak the amounts to your liking: I did.

facebook blue cheese coleslaw recipegoogleplus blue cheese coleslaw recipepinterest blue cheese coleslaw recipestumbleupon blue cheese coleslaw recipetwitter blue cheese coleslaw recipe
This entry was posted in food., salad, vegetables and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Deborah said (3 May 2007 at 11:24 am):

I am soooo going to make this recipe!! I HATE the regular cole slaw (one of the only foods I cannot stand) but this looks and sounds fabulous! I’m thinking we may have to bbq this weekend so I can try this out!

• Anita said (3 May 2007 at 5:29 pm):

yum! We’ve been making a very similar fennel slaw with bleu. this sounds like a nice alternative :)

• Meeta said (3 May 2007 at 11:07 pm):

You do the coleslaw complete justice. This looks and sounds gorgeous. My son is like that too – he has developed a taste for sharp cheese it is quite amazing for a 4 year old. Nice one Janelle!

• sher said (3 May 2007 at 11:40 pm):

I love cole slaw and I think this may be the best version I’ve ever read! I have to taste it.

• Kirsten said (4 May 2007 at 12:29 am):

Delicious! Bad, scary slaw is never good…this sounds great!

• Lydia said (4 May 2007 at 4:59 am):

The first time I heard of blue cheese cole slaw was on a Barefoot Contessa episode, and I was completely taken with the idea. Now here is your recipe, so it’s definitely cole slaw for me this weekend!

• Kristen said (4 May 2007 at 10:25 am):

I am not a cole slaw fan but this really has me intrigued! It sounds delicious!

• janelle said (5 May 2007 at 10:10 am):

Deborah: I so hope is remedies your palate!

Anita: oh, nice tip. I adore fennel!

Meeta: thanks! I love kids palates, so interesting… does yours like olives too?

Kirsten: thanks!

Lydia: I love getting ideas from Barefoot, I didn’t know she had one like this: I will try hers next time!

Kristen: It’s all about the blue:).

• Kalyn said (5 May 2007 at 6:00 pm):

I have a recipe for this on my blog, but I think this one might be better! I guess I will have to try it!

• janelle said (11 May 2007 at 10:21 am):

Kalyn: LOL–what don’t you have a recipe for? Your blog is full of good recipes!!!

• easy coleslaw (with blue cheese and raisins) said (14 November 2012 at 7:47 pm):

[...] to experiment in our kitchens, sprinkling raisins into our culinary concoctions. I have made this coleslaw a few times, and recently was enjoying it and had an ‘a-ha’ moment: it needs raisins! [...]