snowball cookie recipe with pecans

[19 Dec 2006 | By | 10 Comments]

327545383 382d47d186 snowball cookie recipe with pecans

I have powdery, sugary, pecan embedded glorious butter ball cookies sitting on my windowsill. They look like a row of snowballs, blissfully unaware that they are resting, warm and moist, on the inside. Snowball cookies are a perfect treat for this time of year. Meant to melt in mouths, this sweet cookie delivers more than the snow that melted in my mouth as a child. I used to pour maple syrup over a pile of snow on a little plate, a silly treat and pre-cooking concoction that tickled my fancy. But snowball cookies are even better, heralding a confectionery melt-in-your-mouth experience.

Their cold, wintery cousins—bonafide icy outdoor snowballs—have a different fate than the cookie version. Both the indoor snowball cookies and the outdoor snow packed globes do have something in common: both provide a pile of pleasure for children and adults. Both beckon a heartfelt experience, something in the range of a smile to screeching laughter—a moment to savor.

This warm and sweet tribute to the snowball is a salute: to snowballs that provide hours of fun and laughter for children playing in the snow. Yes, these quintessential cookies are the essence of our inner children, standing with stubborn resolve in the face of challenge, yet with an all-out embrace of the amusing side of life. And might I add, it is so lovely to eat snowballs in their warm row, while watching my own children douse one another with flying, splatting orbs of icy packed snow—my moment to savor.

328355315 a890d48fd5 snowball cookie recipe with pecans

Snowball Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
dash salt
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
powdered sugar to coat cookies

Beat butter, sugar, vanilla for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add flour, salt until dough starts to come together. Add nuts and blend. Form golf ball size balls and bake at 400 for 12 minutes; roll warm cookies in confectioners sugar to coat. When cooled, roll in sugar again if desired.

facebook snowball cookie recipe with pecansgoogleplus snowball cookie recipe with pecanspinterest snowball cookie recipe with pecansstumbleupon snowball cookie recipe with pecanstwitter snowball cookie recipe with pecans
This entry was posted in dessert, food., holiday food and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• bea at La tartine gourmande said (19 December 2006 at 7:50 pm):

I had never heard about these delightful treats before. So seasonal indeed. If only they could call for the snow to come!

• Kristen said (19 December 2006 at 9:58 pm):

This may be one way we can have a White Christmas this year. These look really good!
    Love your writing style.

• Jeff said (20 December 2006 at 8:46 am):

I’d wanna throw one ;)

• Jennifer said (20 December 2006 at 11:39 am):

How purdy!! If I weren’t so cookied out (seriously), I may just try this recipe. But I really don’t want to see another cookie til sometime in June 2007. LOL!!

• janelle said (20 December 2006 at 3:50 pm):

Bea: this year my son placed hand-cut snowflakes on the window to ‘call for snow.’ The best part? His timing worked and snow did fall!

Kristin: in Seattle we usually have to aim for our mountains to get a peek at the white stuff. I love white christmases!

Jeff: yes, and straight into my mouth!

Jen: Okay, I agree, no cookies until June… what kind should they be?

• Jennifer said (21 December 2006 at 3:54 pm):

I’m thinking coconut macaroons. I’ve been having a hankering for those. When I was in college (the first time around) during Passover my Jewish roommate had them and offered me some and they were the absolute best. Her mother made them from scratch and everything.

• sher said (22 December 2006 at 12:31 am):

I love these cookies. My mom made them and called them Sandies. They’re addictive!

• J said (6 November 2007 at 10:34 am):

Those look like something we call “Mexican Wedding Cookies”…I wonder if they’re the same? I love the look of them on a plate, with a few thumbprint cookies with bright raspberry jam in them, and some nice fudge for contrast. :)

• janelle said (6 November 2007 at 2:54 pm):

Jennifer: Sounds interesting, I would love to try them!

Sher: very, very addictive.

J: YES the same. Delish!

• Talk of Tomatoes | foodbuzz 24×24: an all white wintry meal said (29 January 2012 at 2:45 pm):

[...] gin martinis & champagne truffle popcorn (recipe) crostini with white bean and roasted garlic puree (recipe) parsnip apple soup with creme fraiche (recipe below) celery root salad (recipe below) chicken Marbella with dried figs & white wine served over garlic mashed potatoes (recipe below) roasted fennel with shaved Parmigiano Reggiano (photo above; recipe) arborio rice pudding with Vin Santo poached pears (photos above; recipe) snowball cookies (recipe) [...]