preserving: yellow tomato jam… because I can!

[7 Sep 2011 | By | 15 Comments]

6100437587 b132d5c55f preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!

Ha all puns aside. Though Seattle’s summer has felt a bit wintry, my Sungolds have remained a cheerful beam in my garden. Hoards of tiny orange globes dangle in my tomato jungle, and I just picked a ‘bushel-full’. I am admittedly giddy (since they cost $4 a pint at neighborhood farmer markets); these homegrown little gems—all jammed up—will be a welcome addition to my pantry shelves.

Because I am in the midst of home renovations, building our urban farm (right now: our entire plot is dirt), writing book proposals and  upgrading my blog—I have had even less time to read some of my favorite food blogs. But I seem to find time to steal peeks at Food In Jars, to see what is new and inspired for my next batch of preserves. It is where I found the recipe for a recent favorite: peach plum compote. And when Marisa’s post on Yellow Tomato and Basil Jam popped into my inbox I let out a guffaw: how does she read my mind? Certainly I am not the only one with a bumper crop of Sungolds. However: how many have ‘tomato jam recipe’ scribbled across the top of their list of things to find/do?

And so I did: find it and do it. And boy was it worth it.

Now I am letting the next batch of Sungolds ripen, so I can add to my growing pile of tomato-jam-jars. I adopted the recipe just a smidgen, opting to leave out the basil and zest. Why? I wanted to taste the tomatoes straight up and figure I can add basil/zest into the next batch, if necessary (having made the jam, I won’t likely add in the basil/zest next time. I loved it ‘straight up’ like a good martini). Plus: I might not always want the basil slant when adding to a dish (and if I do? Just add in fresh basil at the time). Tomato jam is great for: burgers, sandwiches, with cheese and crackers for a fancy appetizer and/or as a dip for roasted or fried potatoes. Yep: ketchup replacement therapy!

6122146612 8c43296c89 preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!

Yellow Tomato Jam
makes 3.5 pints or 7 half pints

4 pounds Sungold or other yellow tomatoes
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Cut Sungold tomatoes in half (if using other, large yellow tomatoes: rough chop). Combine tomatoes and sugar in non-reactive pot and stir. Let sit for at least one hour, or until the tomatoes release their juice. Prepare canning pot and jars and place on high heat; add lemon juice and bring to a boil. Boil 35-40 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes have softened and syrup is thick.

Pour jam into prepared jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings. Process jars in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Remove jars from pot and let them cool on a kitchen towel. If jars don’t seal properly, tuck into fridge for use. The rest can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.

facebook preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!googleplus preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!pinterest preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!stumbleupon preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!twitter preserving: yellow tomato jam... because I can!
This entry was posted in diy food, farm., food. and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

• Velva said (7 September 2011 at 11:56 am):

Beautiful. The tomato jam looks delightful. Here in Florida our summer has been far from “wintry” I would give a lot for some cool air. Not too mention a 2nd shot at a tomato growing season.

Great post.

Velva

• Chiara said (8 September 2011 at 12:39 am):

I love tomato jam… especially ona piece of baguette with some goat cheese. Yum. I got hungry just thinking about it!!!

• Karen @ SiciLean said (8 September 2011 at 7:42 am):

You, my friend, are a canning maniac these days! For some unknown reason, I’ve always been a bit intimidated by the canning process, but the recipes you’ve posted recently certainly are inspiring!

• janelle (author) said (8 September 2011 at 1:14 pm):

Velva: I know! So much of the country has been hot, hot, hot.
    Chiara: I am newish to tomato jam so thanks for the tip;)
    Karen: I know, right? What has gotten into me!? ;) OR: was it always already there? It is easier than you think. I should write a post re: some quick tips/quick guide… then would you can some?

• Karen @ SiciLean said (8 September 2011 at 4:46 pm):

A “how to” post would be great. I’d love to learn!

• Seb@Portable Chicken Coop said (9 September 2011 at 8:30 am):

Lovely photos Janelle. I didn’t bother with tomatoes this year because of the weather in June and July. Good sail crop though.

• Seb@Portable Chicken Coop said (9 September 2011 at 8:31 am):

Whoops that was supposed to be be BASIL crop. I’m getting old!!!!

• Donna said (9 September 2011 at 10:19 pm):

Hey, wonderful puns and clever humor and conversation-tone writing. I smile every other sentence. When I picture you writing, it is always a video clip of you on a little stool in front of the radiator in your apartment in Florence. Dad needs to taste this jam…he’s a pushover for tomatoes.

• leela said (9 September 2011 at 10:42 pm):

girl i want to spread this on a little bite of toast right now! midnight snacks are the best :)

• Krista said (15 September 2011 at 12:07 pm):

I just love all the things you’re doing in your life!! :-) It makes me happy to picture you digging and gathering and cooking. :-) Just a few more weeks and I will be on my own little farm in Australia, just in time for spring planting. :-) I can’t wait! Your jam is gorgeous and now I know I must plant yellow tomatoes. :-)

• Urban Farm Update: Sept 2011 | Talk of Tomatoes said (18 September 2011 at 9:57 am):

[...] tomatoes we get to eat—and can! (I already made two substantial batches of red tomato jam and yellow tomato jam). Currently showing promise: my corn, tomatillos, peppers and potatoes. Am planning to plant kale, [...]

• Blackberry Plum Cardamom | Talk of Tomatoes said (27 September 2011 at 1:49 pm):

[...] garden boxes and plots have given me piles of lettuce, herbs and enough tomatoes to make quite a few rounds of tomato jam. And still: I have white pumpkins, black cabbage, trevisio (Italian radicchio) and Italian climbing [...]

• Tomato Jam | Talk of Tomatoes said (14 October 2011 at 10:09 am):

[...] and not always be experimenting with my namesake food? And since small-batch preserves are increasingly a part of my kitchen experience: tomatoes were on the short list of ‘things to [...]

• Pat said (15 October 2011 at 6:54 pm):

Hubba-hubba! I have huge Sun Gold tomato plants too. I just love ‘em. Pop ‘em into my mouth and let them explode in deliciousness! I used to love tomato jam. Haven’t thought to make it, but I should plant an extra Sun Gold next year just for this! Thanks!

• A Bushel Full Of Tomatoes | Glenns Garden said (26 October 2011 at 5:21 am):

[...] times and manufactures instruction for preparing jars and lids.And For Those Of You Who Like VideosA bushel basket full of tomatoes now what do you do. People at work see you coming with a bag in you…by. It must be tomato season.There is nothing like biting into a warm juicy tomato right off the [...]